General Liability Insurance
2023 Brochure: Everything you need to know about General Liability Insurance available to CGCI member organizations.
The CGCI Liability Insurance Plan is an option available to CGCI Clubs and Associate Plant Societies only.
Make checks payable to CGCI and mail to the Liability Insurance Chairman.
- Membership dues to CGCI must be current for a club or society to be eligible to purchase the insurance.
- The insurance premium is an additional fee, separate from membership dues.
- Affiliates are not eligible.
Liability insurance coverage is not available to clubs or associate plant societies that own real estate or have exclusive ongoing use of building premises or clubs that have primary use of, or any degree of ongoing maintenance responsibility for gardens or land.
The insurance provides protection for the insured group, and those who volunteer on its behalf.
- Normal activities include flower shows and sales, meetings and workshops with attendance of 1000 or less
- If you are unsure if an activity is covered, contact the Liability Insurance Chairman.
- When meetings or events are held at a home or commercial venue the respective owner has primary liability. This exposure may be covered if it is required by a written contract. (Please submit the contract for review of the insurance implications by the insurance agent.)
- Evidence of coverage may be obtained in the form of a Certificate of General Liability Insurance and the appropriate Additional Insured Endorsement (as determined by the insurance agent). A processing fee will apply.
- There is a “per occurrence” limit of $1,000,000 and a $2,000,000 aggregate limit shared by all the insured CGCI groups.
- A new group may be added to the CGCI policy at the time it joins CGCI without a late fee assessment.
- The charge for insurance for a full year will be charged to new and returning clubs even though their coverage may be less than one year. (There is no pro-ration of amount charged for insurance.)
- Insured groups will receive a Certificate of Insurance for the insured year which runs from February 15 to February 15 of the following year. Certificates are mailed shortly after the first of March.
**The Liability Insurance Chairman will send renewal notification, including premium amount for the coming year, to all groups on/about November 1 of each year.
If your group has not received this notice by November 15, contact the Insurance Chairman, giving your group s name and mailing address, and a replacement notice will be sent.
Please note this is not an “invoice” but a reminder of the annual due date with the current forms to be completed and submitted with payment.
Additional Insured Certificates showing additional insured status may be purchased.
Complete only one application form.
Each certificate is $35
A discount is available for garden tours with three or more locations IF the list is sent in an electronically recognizable text. This can be a Word document, spreadsheet, recognizable PDF document or the body of an email.
If submitted in this format the maximum charge is for three (3) certificates.
Non-electronic lists are charged at one certificate charge per location.
When completing the form indicate the following:
-the Type of Event is a Garden Tour;
-the Building or Event Location is Various;
-after Required “ Certificate holder name & address, write See attached list.
-On a separate sheet of paper, list names, addresses and telephone numbers of all gardens on the tour.
-Attach copy of the signed written agreement between club and owner of property being visited as part of the garden tour or any other entity requiring being named as an additional insured..
Other than Garden Tours:
-May be purchased for public venues where meetings or events are held (Most public or commercial facilities require a certificate of insurance)
-Each certificate is $35
-Complete the Certificate/Endorsement Request Form (available under the “Forms” tab on this page) including the type of Additional Insured requested,
-Attach copy of the written agreement including any instructions, samples or special wording required and submit with the fee.
NOTE: A copy of any agreement for additional insurance must be sent in along with your application and fee BEFORE any Additional Insured endorsement can be issued.
If exposure requires an additional premium other than the standard Additional Insured Certificate fee, the Liability Insurance Chairman will advise.
For ALL Certificates
-Make sure addresses on all requests are correct, especially zip codes.
-If the certificate is returned to the insurance broker by the U.S. Post Office because of an incorrect address, you will be charged another $35 to have the certificate rewritten.
-Incorrect addresses for the location of an event must be corrected. Federal law requires that all insured persons or entities be notified, even if the event has already occurred.
Due date is January 15 of each year.
An additional $25 fee is due when the insurance payment is received after January 15.
A $15 processing fee will be assessed for Additional Insured Certificate requests received less than 14 days prior to event.
Make checks payable to CGCI and mail to the CGCI Liability Insurance Chairman listed on the form.
Forms MUST be completed in full.
Failure to do so may cause a delay in the issuance of the policy until all information is disclosed.
2023-2024 Application form (NEW FORM: Effective Feb 2023-Feb 2024)
Note: D&O Liability insurance coverage is NOT available to clubs or associate plant societies that have any paid employees (both part-time or full-time)
To apply for D&O insurance contact McDaniel Insurance Services directly – (800) 400-7288, (805) 646-9948