Mission & History
- To create, promote and further interest in horticulture, gardening, floral and landscape design, plant and birdlife, and
appreciation of the natural beauties of the State of California.
- To encourage civic beautification and roadside development.
- To assist in projects for the conservation of our natural resources.
- To coordinate and centralize the work of the various California garden clubs and bring
them into a closer relation of mutual helpfulness.
January 1891 – The first garden club in America was founded by The Ladies Garden Club of Athens, Georgia.
May 1, 1929 – 13 federated states became charter members at an organizational meeting in Washington, D.C.
December 5, 1931 – CGCI organized
October 1932 – The first issue of Golden Gardens magazine was published.
- In 2009 an electronic version was offered as an option.
- In 2012 the last printed issue was published
- today Golden Gardens eNews is available at no charge via electronic distribution or the website.
December 5, 1932 – CGCI admitted to membership of National Council of State Garden Clubs (now National Garden Clubs, Inc.)
1935 – The National Council of State Garden Clubs (now National Garden Clubs, Inc.) established headquarters at Rockefeller Center in New York City. A permanent headquarters building in St. Louis was dedicated May 10, 1958.
- Today, NGC is a not-for-profit educational organization headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri USA, adjacent to the Missouri Botanical Gardens.
- It includes 50 state garden clubs and the National Capital Area, nearly 6,000 member garden clubs and over 190,000 members.
- Additionally, NGC has 70 national affiliated organizations within the United States and nearly 300 international affiliated organizations with locations ranging around the globe including: Canada, Mexico, South America, Bermuda, South Africa, Australia and Japan.
1936 – CGCI was ratified as a member of NGC and is proud to be the largest and one of the most active members of NGC and Pacific Region.
- CGCI started with eight (8) districts which included 23 charter member clubs.
- Of the original 23 charter members, six clubs remain active: Chico Horticultural Society, Fallbrook Garden Club, Redlands Horticultural & Improvement Society, San Pedro Garden Club, Southern California Garden Club and Vista Garden Club.
Today – Since its inception, CGCI has been involved in many statewide projects including those currently active today.
- It is home to over 350 garden clubs, associate plant societies, affiliates and youth clubs/projects with 21,000+ individual members
- In addition to its website it has a Facebook page, publishes a Yearbook, Manual & Roster, Golden Gardens eNews (with over 2500 subscribers) and distributes WACONIAH (official publication of Pacific Region) and Keeping in Touch (on behalf of NGC).
|*Mrs. Leonard B. Slosson (founder)
*Mrs. Richard W. Kirkley
*Mrs. S.A. Guiberson
*Mrs. Z.E. Page
*Mrs. Frederick N. Scatena
*Mrs. E.B. Wyman
*Charles Gibbs Adams
*Mrs. Walter G. Brendel
*Mrs. William D. Shearer
*Mrs. John O. England
*Mrs. J.E. Harton
*Mrs. Weston Walker
*Mrs. J.J. Gallagher
*Mrs. C.C. Henry (Blair)
*Mrs. Harry F. Hunter
*Mrs. Charles P. Scott
*Mrs. Henry T. Read
*Mrs. Lawrence A. Winship
*Mrs. Vincent T. Gilchrist
*Mrs. Milton R. Bell
*Mrs. Henry Dolezal
*Mrs. John N. Fehrer
*Mrs. Wallace F. Hirsch
*Mrs. Eugene Woesner
*Mrs. Robert E. Busher
|*Mrs. Georg W. Daiber
*Mrs. Wil J. Tebo
*Mrs. W. V. Hughes (Clark)
*Mrs. R. Nelson Nicholson
*Mrs. Roy F. Hedtke
*Mrs. Allan Nielsen
*Mary Lou (VanDeventer) Goodwin
*Mrs. Edwin R. Gould
*Mrs. Robert Northon
Mrs. Robert Brune
*Mrs. Cyrus Roton
*Virginia DeLong Bennetts
Robert L. Gordon
Elisabeth A. Tufo
Julie A. West
Susan C. Bennett
Charlene “Shane” Looper