Roseville Better Gardens Club Scholarship Program
(Next deadline: May 1, 2023)
Thank you for your interest in the Roseville Better Gardens Club Scholarship Program. This scholarship is funded by proceeds from our club’s annual plant sale and fund-raising efforts. We are very proud of our scholarship program which began in 2017.
One-year scholarships are available for college students pursuing a horticulture-related degree. The scholarship application packet consists of the Scholarship Program Instructions and Guidelines and the Scholarship Application Form – 2022 – 2023. The link is at the bottom of this page, “APPLICATION & INSTRUCTIONS & GUIDELINES”.
Scholarship Program Instructions and Guidelines
Details of the Award: A scholarship award in the amount of $1,000 is available for the 2022 -2023 year.
Who can apply: One-year scholarships will be available to high school seniors and college students pursuing a horticulture-related BS degree. College/university applicants may be full-time or part-time, enrolled in two or more classes.
Applicant Eligibility: Deserving high school seniors and college students will be awarded scholarship funds based upon: scholastic record, career goals, financial need, character, initiative, work ethic and general attitude. Applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Residency Requirement: Must be a US citizen or permanent legal resident of the United States and a California resident with permanent resident home address in one of the following counties: El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Sacramento or Yolo County. Students may attend any California college or university. (Address on transcript is proof.)
- Academic record: Applicant must have at least 2.75 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) to be eligible to apply.
- Career focus: Applicant must be pursuing a career/occupation related to gardening, landscape design, environmental issues, floral design or horticulture. The college/university major must be in one of the following: Agri-business (farming), Horticulture, Floriculture, Landscape Design, Botany, Forestry, Wildlife Science, Plant Pathology/Science, Habitat or Forest Systems Ecology, Environmental Concerns: (Management: environmental, Horticulture resource/ environmental behavior), Environmental Conservation OR Land Management and/or other related.
- *International or foreign exchange students are not eligible. Master ™s and doctorate students are not eligible.
Application Package: All requested documents (except for recommendation letters) must be printed single sided (no back-to-back printing) and mailed by the applicant in one packet/envelope by MAY 1st. Documents should not be placed in page protectors or in any sort of permanent binder. No stapled pages. Recommendation letters are to be sent directly by the author to the address on the Application Form. The following documents must be submitted:
- Application Form: A complete and signed RBGC Scholarship Application Form.
- Academic Record: A copy of all transcripts of all courses completed is required at the time of application. Official transcripts will be required for RBGC scholarship winners. High School applicants: Copy of High School transcript and proof of college acceptance College applicants: Copy of the most recent transcript is required. Emphasis is placed on the strength of courses related to student ™s major in horticulture or related field.
- Applicant ™s letter: Discuss goals, background, financial need (income) and personal commitment to career choice. Limit to two (2) typed or computer-generated pages.
- Resume: Include a list of honors, extracurricular activities, and work experience: This information should be typed or computer generated on a separate page and not included in the body of the applicant ™s letter.
- Recommendations: Two (2) letters of recommendation describing character, initiative, general attitude, and work ethic. References from family members will not be accepted. Each letter must be sent by the author directly to the Roseville Better Garden Club (RBGC) (address listed below) by the application deadline, MAY 1st.
Renewal:Scholarships are renewable on a yearly basis provided the applicant reapplies, remains in a horticulture-related field of study, is in good standing with his or her college or university, and continues to meet the RBGC Scholarship criteria. When an applicant re-applies for a scholarship, a completed new application must be submitted.
Disbursement of Funds: The winning applicant (recipient) will receive an award letter and certificate. Upon notification, the winner must provide Official Transcript(s) prior to disbursement of funds and within 30 calendar days of notification. The winner will be invited to our annual June Installation Lunch so that we may present a certificate. The Scholarship Committee Chairman will notify all applicants (winning and non-winning) in writing of the committee ™s decisions on June 1st. A check will be issued directly to the winning applicant after receipt of Official Transcript(s). Scholarship funds can be used for tuition, books, or other school related expenses. The awarded funds must be used within 12 months of receipt.
Deadline: The complete Application Package including Application Form, all copies of transcripts, the applicant ™s letter, and resume must be sent in one packet to the Roseville Better Garden Club ™s Scholarship Committee (listed below) and postmarked no later than May 1, 2023. Letters of recommendation must be sent directly from the author. These letters must be mailed to the RBGC Scholarship Program Committee at the address below and postmarked no later than by MAY 1, 2023. No late application packages will be considered.
Mrs. Dorothy Dempsey